Saturday, January 15, 2011

Principles

I had a lengthy phone 'conversation' with a parent this afternoon. It wasn't the first time I had to swallow my tears while enduring the unpleasant words coming from the other end of the line.

Over the years, I've learnt to understand that such nasty problems are part and parcel of work, and I'm still learning to deal with them effectively. Sometimes I could take them in my stride, sometimes I couldn't let them lie down.

Today's 'conversation' stemmed from some misunderstanding and miscommunication issues. Things got heated up, and I just kept silent, absorbing all the angry words being lashed out. It took quite some time for us to really settle the problems calmly. In the end, 'all is well'. But I wished I could have the wits to deal with the problems faster.

The parent insisted that he had his principles, and he was setting as an example to his children, that principles should be followed once set.

Yes, I agree, but to a certain extent. I do have my own set of principles too, be it personal or for work. But sometimes, I have to set them aside for certain circumstances. And that doesn't mean that I'm not assertive enough. Sometimes one has to be flexible, sometimes we are left with no other choices.

It's just a fine line between sticking to principles and being stubborn.

No comments: