Thursday, August 27, 2009

Volunteering

There is a programme on Channel U, where local artistes join volunteer organisations in their efforts to better the lives of the less fortunate. This week, the Philippines is featured in the programme.

The Philippines may not be the poorest country in the world or in Asia, but the level of poverty and the percentage of slum areas are significant enough to raise concerns from both its government and humanitarian organisations local and abroad.

Having been to the Philippines 6 times, the images that flashed on TV were nothing but familiar sights. The nipah huts, the unpaved roads, and the children.

The volunteers built a dyke, interacted with the children, played with them, cooked for them.

My mum made her sarcasm, and said, "If you want to do volunteer work, do something like this".

And I just simply retorted, by saying, "When I did all these, were you there to witness it?"

This somehow made me think that all these shows are just glorifying what the celebrities are doing. I'm not saying that what they did are not out of their own goodwill or with their real emotions. I take it with a pinch of salt. It is all for show.

I don't need to tell the world what I've done for the children and the less fortunate in the Philippines. I have friends who have witnessed what I've gone through, who have been there when I need help. They know who they can look for, when they wish to donate their old items out. And I know I can count on them.

I only need understanding. That's all. Nothing is going to stop me from doing what I love doing.

No comments: