Wednesday, March 05, 2008

my mentor

when i was doing a 2-week attachment at Singapore National Eye Centre during my JC days, i've never thought that we (together with my attachment partner) could still keep in contact with my so-called mentor.

but after all these years, we could still keep in touch, visit him in his lab, meet up for lunches or dinners. it's not just a simple relationship between a mentor and his students, but it's more like friendship. we don't just talk about science-related stuff, but also normal daily topics, and share our perspectives on life.

i can't say that i'm inspired by him (if not i would still be slogging my life in labs.. haha), but there are definitely things that i've learned from him. he've told me to look at things positively, and take a break whenever i can. haa, something i need to learn.

he's going back to Australia to continue on his teaching and research, but he'll be back every 3-4 months to clear his work here in Singapore Eye Research Institute. we can still meet up then, perhaps even more often than when he's still in Singapore. hahah.

before that, we will meet up again. =)

No comments: