Friday, April 22, 2011

Life is short

Life is too short to give way to regrets.

A young Filipino actor passed away in a vehicular accident while on his way back home from a provincial show last weekend. AJ Perez was only 18 years old, gone too soon. I admit I was a little affected by his death, not just because he was cut down at such a young age, and he was so well-loved by many people in the industry and his fans. His passing reminded me of my cousin who passed away when she was only 14 years old.

Then I got to hear about Fatima Soriano, a blind girl in the Philippines who could 'see' Mother Mary and has 'healing powers'. The parents of AJ decided to donate his corneas to Fatima after watching her interview with Boy Abunda, but it was then reported that a cornea transplant was not suitable for Fatima because her blindness is a retinal problem.

Out of curiosity, I watched the same interview of Fatima. I watched it with skepticism. I know there are certain things that can't be explained, but I would rather believe in facts than in beliefs and religions.

Fatima is a very pleasant girl, and speaks with amiability yet with affirmation. She is just a 18-year old teenager.

When asked about her 'healing powers', she was very humble and said, she was just happy to be the instrument of God. She was very certain that if you trust in Him, He will work it out for you.

I still remain skeptical about it. I have questions, and they are debatable. And I've said this before, I would not believe in any religion without having any true understanding of it.

The main objective of the interview is not to leave us in debates. I'm amazed by her humility, and the wise words that came from her during the interview.

"Let's not postpone love."
"Why waste time getting angry?"
"I 'see' Mother Mary, not with my eyes, but with my heart. What is essential, is invisible to the eyes."

Indeed, life is too short, life can be unpredictable. Probably we should be embarrassed about how we take time for granted, for an 18-year old to remind us of that.

Perhaps we can start first, with not postponing the sharing of love with the ones you care.

No comments: