Saturday, August 28, 2010

Manila's bus-hijack

The tragedy of the bus-hijack in the Philippines has been making headlines for the past few days. There's no need for me to list out the details of what took place, and the so-called blunder the Philippines National Police had made.

In fact, I'm not surprised that the event turned out this way. I do not mean that the Hong Kong tourists on the bus deserve to die. I'm not taken aback by the incapability of the Philippines' police. The security system of the country is not without flaws. At times, I find it ridiculous.

I shall not comment on the actions by the police in this incident, but my experiences in the country would pretty much sum up my sentiments on the issue.

Take the airport for example. All travellers have to go through at least 2 rounds of security checks from the point of entering the airport premises to the boarding gates. Of all the countries I've been to (not that I've been travelling that much), the Philippines' airport the the most troublesome. So much so that I always make it a point to reduce my carry-on baggage and dress light, i.e. slip-on shoes or slippers, no belts, no jackets.

Security guards are probably one of the most employed jobs throughout the country. You see them everywhere. Every shop in a shopping mall would have at least one security guard on duty. But just look at them. They open the doors for customers, greet the customers, thank the customers for shopping. Don't that make them like any other shopkeeper or salesman?

The society has to play a part. Crime rates are high because the people are not educated, corruption is prevalent, the police are not doing their jobs. It is a vicious cycle that the country needs to break itself out of.

I once watched a Filipino news documentary, on the '10 lessons Philippines should learn from Singapore'. In one of the interviews with an urban planner, he pointed out that there should be a central control or system managing the country, or at least the Metro Manila. The Metro Manila is probably less than the size of Singapore, but there are 17 cities in the Metro Manila and they are run individually by their own local governments. Just imagine, if Singapore is divided into 17 areas and each area has its own management systems in security, traffic, economy etc. It would just turn chaotic. Which is exactly what is happening in the Philippines.

Perhaps I should cite an example. Airports should be built on areas where there are rooms for expansion, given the fact that the aviation industry is constantly growing. The Manila's airport is right smacked in the middle of Pasay City with skyscrapers surrounding it. There have been debates of relocating the airport, but the Pasay City government is not receptive of the idea for fear that it would affect its own economy and tourism. See the problems now?

I agree with my boss, it was just too unlucky of the tourists to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Such incidents could have happened elsewhere, anywhere. The matter was just made worse by the mishandling of the event.

Having said all these, it doesn't stop me from travelling to the Philippines. You would still go back to your home country even if such incident happens in your own country, am I right? Haa. My relationship with my Filipino friends is very strong, reaching out to the children is still what motivates me to continue with my voluntary work. I would just take extra caution when travelling alone.

The Philippines should realise that there are a lot more they need to buck up on, and may the 8 victims rest in peace.

No comments: