Monday, December 22, 2008

Filipino-less Christmas

Christmas is just 3 days away, but I'm forever lamenting, why am I still here, why am I not in Philippines right now???

When I was young, Christmas was just like any other holiday, only slightly different because there were the Christmas lightings to look forward to, and if my parents were in good mood, we got to choose the "toys" we wanted.

As we grow older, as the Christmas lightings along Orchard Road become boring, Christmas was just a day to spend watching Christmas movies on TV at home.

It was until I got to spend my first Christmas in Philippines, then it got a special meaning to it.


The angel made of coconuts and bamboo. The Filipino way.

The Philippines is a Catholic country, and Christmas is a very much celebrated affair there. It is not like any other Christmas, because there's a distinct Filipino culture to it. The Filipino Christmas songs are enough to make it different.

Most of the Filipinos are not rich. You will be amazed at how creative they are, and how festive they can get, despite having limited money and resources to spend on. Yup, no turkeys there.


Simple spagetti and buns for the Christmas parties for children

The very first time I attended a Christmas mass in Bago City, I was just overwhelmed. The whole coliseum was filled with people, and the music were echoing across the whole coliseum. I've never seen so many people gathering for a mass before.


The whole city celebrates Christmas together

But of course, Christmas is the season for giving. For the past few Christmas, I've been going to schools to join in the Christmas parties organised for them, and giving out presents to them. It is very heartening to see the children smile because their Christmas had just got better. :)



And I miss the times when all my dearest friends were with me spreading the joy. We all had so much fun together. Unforgettable memories indeed.


JP with his black "Santa's bag"

Sad to say, I can't be there this Christmas. I'm disappointed, and my friends are disappointed too. It has been a norm, for them to see me around during December, but this year round, it would be an exception. :(

I could only watch more Filipino Christmas programmes (papa Piolo!) to make myself feel as if I'm back there.



I miss you guys!! I really really miss you guys a lot!! I want to go to the Philippines!!

No comments: