Thursday, February 10, 2005

new year a time for reunion?

the 2nd day of new year.. well.. nothing really special about it i guess.. went to the same old places every year.. every 2nd day of new year i will go over to m'sia johore.. as usual.. this year's the same.. went to the temple, my dad's fren's house, my po-po's house.. quite exhausted.. long time spent in the car..

though new year is supposed to be a time for reunion, a chance to get to meet up with relatives n friends who i've not seen them for quite some time.. (well.. almost a year..) but somehow i don't really mingle with them.. partly due to my personality.. i'm a benchwarmer.. only talked to my cousins who are about the same age as me.. as for the older relatives, i would just greet them n smile at them.. nothing much to talk about.. other than asking where and what am i studying now, what have i been up to lately.. (philippines YEP!!!) n of course what happened to my knee.. now my mum spoke up for me.. (in a nagging tone.. "she fell down from a bicycle.. night cycling lor.. aiya.. too playful.. blah blah..) well.. at least i'm glad i'm able to save up some energy explaining.. heh..

suddenly i thought of the christmas spent in bago city.. families and friends coming together to celebrate christmas.. i could see the close n tight family bonds over there.. but i couldn't seem to feel that here.. perhaps the younger generations are too preoccupied with other materialistic thoughts like getting ang paos.. and i admit i have lost touch with my elders, with my relatives.. since i spend most of my time in school n in other activities.. i want to find back or forge the close bonds.. but it's just me.. i need time to get over myself.. i need time to warm up and to open up to the older ones..

perhaps i'm still too young to understand 'adult-stuff'.. perhaps they still see me as a kid.. but what if there isn't much time left? people come and go.. especially when my grandparents and my relatives of that generations are getting very much older.. how can i get to overcome that stigma of mine.. can anyone give me an answer...

1 comment:

~ yuhui ~ said...

hey hey.. well.. it takes time for relationships to be built up.. n it's definitely need effort to be put in as well..

yup n i agree that technological advancement does has its part in this.. kinda obvious that we always sit in front of the computer when we come home.. instead of sitting down with family n talk about things.. hmm..