Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Handog Ng Pilipino Sa Mundo

"Handog Ng Pilipino Sa Mundo" ("The Philippines' Offering to the World") is a song written, based on the success of the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution.

With my level of understanding of Tagalog, the song is about the fight of the Filipinos against injustice under the dictatorship of Marcos, for their freedom, without violence but through the unity of the country.

Through the years, I've read on the history of the country, and with the passing of the former president Mrs Cory Aquino in 2009, people are again reminded of the significance behind the EDSA revolution. If you could watch video footages of the revolution, the sight could be quite overwhelming.

I happened to be in Manila when the Philippines celebrated the 25th anniversary of EDSA revolution on 25 February 2011. People were in yellow, congregating near the EDSA Shrine, yellow ribbons were tied around poles and fences as well. I did not participate in any of the celebrations (for fear of the huge crowd), but I could feel the patriotism everywhere I go.

But 25 years on, the Philippines still faces problems of poverty and corruption. The son of Marcos made a comment, that the Philippines would have become another Singapore had the country remained under the Marcos' rule. I have no comments to that, but I do think the Filipino government and the people should focus on improving the country, instead of just remembering that historical event without honoring its legacy and its significance.

And I definitely hope to see a better Philippines.

No comments: