Thursday, April 15, 2010

My summer paradise - Bago City

Last part of my summer paradise - Bago City

Bago City has always been my safe haven. Everybody knows that. That's the place I know I can escape to, away from reality, but with a rather hefty price (expensive air tickets).

It was my first time spending the Holy Week in Bago City, and my shortest stay so far. 3 days is definitely not enough.



In this predominantly Roman Catholic country, Good Friday is commemorated in many communities with street processions.



In Bago City, people from all barangays gathered on the streets near the St. John the Baptist Church. The entire procession started in the evening, and took more than an hour (although I couldn't remember exactly how long it took), with the devotees and the carrozas parading from one station of the Cross to another.



There were actually two processions happening on that day. I was being told that there were just too many people joining in the processions, and the devotees were from two different churches in the city.



That was my first time experiencing the Good Friday procession in the Philippines. I wouldn't say it was exciting, it was supposed to be a solemn event anyway. But it did allow me to witness the colourful and ritualistic displays of faith of the Filipinos.



But I think the kids enjoyed it. Ha.



In some other part of the Philippines, Pampanga actually, there are devotees who self-flagellate, and some even have themselves nailed to crosses as expressions of penance or in fulfillment of a vow accomplished in thanksgiving or exchange for a granted request or prayer. If given a chance, I would like witness the crucifixions too, but I guess it would take me a bit more courage to do that.

Anyway.

The Philippines will be having their political elections this coming May, and of course, campaigns are going on everywhere in the country. Billboards, posters, TV commercials of politicians everywhere. It's a rather interesting sight actually. Haha.

Again, it was my first time witnessing the campaigning in Bago City, and some of the people were teasing me that I was running for a senate seat. HAHA. I'm never into politics.



Children were rather excited though, because they got to get stickers and flyers, and soon they started singing the jingles that went around the barangays.



It was tiring walking under the blazing sun,but that's all part of the campaign. But kids just love it. Haha.



The short stay in Bago City ended with a serious bout of diarrhoea and vomitting. That doesn't stop me from going back to my safe haven. I have yet to experience the other important fiestas in Bago City. I told myself I'll celebrate my 10th visit to Bago City with a blast. This was my 8th visit. Two more to go!! :D

Could it be within this year? :) I love Bago City!

No comments: