Saturday, November 29, 2008

Handicapped

A few months back, a visually-handicapped came to register for the exam. He was worried, because this is going to be his first time, and he would have to memorise the pieces. He would be unable to take the sight-reading test as well. He was assured that we would make the necessary arrangements and adjust the criteria.

He came to take the exam today. He was going to play the Erhu.

Before his turn, I reassured him that we have already made the adjustment. I could sense his nervousness, but I couldn't help but admire and respect his courage.

While I was leading him to his exam room, there were looks from other candidates and parents. Hopefully this could be some sort of a motivation and encouragement to them.

For somebody who may not have seen an Erhu, and to be able to play the exam pieces, it is indeed an achievement. The Erhu itself is not an easy instrument to master. His instructor ought to be applauded as well, for having the patience to teach a visually-handicapped how to play an Erhu.

At the end of his exam, he walked up to the examiner to thank her. I do not see this in other candidates. This is something all of us should learn from him. And this is what I respect him most, that he showed respect to the examiner, to the exam board.

When he came out of the room, he was telling me how nervous he was, how badly he had performed. I smiled, and said, "You have done your best."

He may be physcially handicapped, but he has so much more courage than the rest of us. Sometimes I feel that we are the handicapped ones instead, because we don't dare to try, we don't dare to fight for our dreams and desires. We trap ourselves in, while they see no boundaries.

A lesson to all.

No comments: